General Bank of Canada is a schedule 1 chartered bank headquartered in Edmonton, launched in 2005 that assists Canadians with their auto and commercial loan needs. A family run organization and part of the Wheaton Group of Companies, General Bank has helped Canadians across the country with their auto loan needs and more recently
with commercial lending and aviation financing. In 2019, General Bank of Canada was recognized as an employer of choice, as the organization was named to the 2019 and 2020 list of Best Workplaces in Alberta!
Reporting to the Director of Retail Operations, the Retail Operations Strategy Manager will be responsible for focusing on all matters that influence time to money and the overall effectiveness of the business unit, lending platforms and processes, building and maintaining relationships throughout the enterprise in an effort to identify
opportunities and roadblocks, developing a range of potential solutions with the customer experience always in mind. The Retail Operations Strategy Manager will also focus on the development, interpretation, analysis, and dissemination of all risk related information as it relates to business, and retail loan portfolios. The Retail Operations Strategy Manager facilitates the publishing of product, policy and process changes initiated by senior management. Another focus of the role is continuous knowledge and innovation seeking on strategic objectives.
Through initiatives, the Retail Operations Strategy Manager will leverage their deep expertise in Retail Operations, its team members, customers and business processes to establish and translate requirements, identify opportunities for improvement and ensure Retail Operations is positioned for success and able to leverage the
intended value of the solutions being developed.
This role will be critical in driving the next phase of growth for General Bank and the Retail Operations division long term strategic plans. Additional responsibilities are outlined below:
What you Bring to the Table
- Through a strategic lens, on a regular basis, scan operational dashboard, credit quality, and scorecard data, along with growth trajectory, market, and competitors (both existing and new entrants) to identify existing and potential issues with the view to quantify them, and where appropriate, develop a range of potential resolutions for presentation and consideration.
- Research, review, understand, prioritize, and bring to life the various initiatives with particular emphasis on focusing on those areas with the greatest impact and ensuring that anything we do in this area is effective. Including proactively identifying credit quality issues
- Interact with the appropriate areas within the Bank to understand their current challenges and issues, and work with them to resolve these while respecting the needs of the client and GBC.
- Review, evaluate and participate in the development of various GBC products, programs and initiatives; as they become available and assess their effectiveness in addressing their underlying problem or need, simplicity in doing so, and any regulatory or underwriting implications. Where appropriate will make recommendations to the Director of Retail Operations on appropriate processes and policies and develop and implement these.
- Collaborating on Retail Operations project implementations, driving the research, analysis, ideation phase up to and including pilot project and testing. Supporting handoff to departments to fully implement and integrate into their process and procedures.
- In all areas of Operations, identifying and rectifying potential issues/constraints that may impact strategy implementation success of any initiative.
- Aid in the development, documentation, recommendation, and presentation of proposals for Retail Operations (business cases). This includes cost and benefit estimation, business requirements documentation, participation in the evaluation of possible solution providers, and implementation assistance, and perhaps more importantly development of a concise and compelling presentation.
- Operating independently, in accordance with established timeframes and policies, undertake projects and assignments as requested by the Director of Retail Operations.
- Perform industry research and benchmarking where appropriate on new strategic initiatives which includes developing and maintaining relationships with industry contacts and networks.
- Act as a key resource and leader for Operations wide initiatives such as projects being tested, researched and/ or implemented.
- Develop strong partnerships across and a deep understanding of its strategy and different delivery channels, including stakeholders.
- Create and integrate internal processes, tools, and resources for GBC team members to provide exceptional experiences to our customers.
- Responsible for influencing and solutioning various operational issues through collaboration, such as outages, regulatory changes, and audit findings.
The Retail Operations Strategy Manager will have 10+ years of industry experience in financial services, 5+ years of
proven leadership experience, and 3+ years’ experience in a strategy role in the finance industry. The following
are required competencies for the role.
What We Offer
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or equivalent is an asset.
- Experience with using a strategic lens to look at multiple business units and using data sources to form actionable recommendations to the business units is required.
- Proficient in programs such as MS Office (PowerPoint, Word and Excel) and Tableau is required. Skills including and not limited to being able to create pivot tables, charts and using excel formulas for analytical review, creating and maintaining reports, trackers and data presentation.
- Experience with additional data analysis software programs would be an asset.
- Excellent written, verbal and visual communication skills utilized in development of policies, guidelines, documents and materials is required.
- Previous experience with dashboard creation is required.
- Excellent presentation skills and having the ability to present the story through strategic presentations to show the full journey to a range of stakeholders in a virtual or physical environment is required.
- Sound knowledge of retail lending and overall banking operations for loans with a good understanding of not only the “how” but the “why”, and having an impeccable business judgement, a disciplined and methodical approach and being execution minded, thorough in assessing the outcomes needed to achieve and being driven towards action. “can run a business”, understand all factors.
- The ability to view issues holistically, have the insight to see non-obvious connections while understanding why things behave a certain way.
- Able to take all factors into consideration, gathers and uses data to build tools and process to support the continued growth of the team. Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem solving, communication and negotiation skills. Ability to assess results against objectives and validate that you’re making a difference. And the ability to identify insights and drive business strategy.
- Able to identify the processes and systems required to accomplish work tasks; utilizes best practices and provides input on ways to improve processes, systems and tasks; measures results against key metrics; use resources efficiently.
As a valued employee of GBC, you will receive the following:
- Competitive salary + benefits package including extended health, dental and vision coverage
- RRSP Matching Program
- Work-Life Fit
- Great Downtown Location
- Onsite Gym
- Rooftop Patio to enjoy lunches + company events
Successful candidates must have legal authorization to work in Canada on a full-time basis for any employer, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. General Bank of Canada is an equal opportunity employer.
Interviews are taking place right away and cover letters are not required.